The articles you will find on The Career Counter are free to readers and subscribers, but also represents many, many hours of research and time. As such, we feel some compensation is appropriate. We have agreements with some companies who pay for affiliate marketing, which means that we have a relationship with a particular brand or company and if you choose to purchase that product or service via the affiliate link, we will get a small commission. This is at no extra cost to you, but it does provide a small amount of money so we can continue to churn out valuable content for you. We truly appreciate your support in this way!
Occasionally, we also accept advertising on thecareercounter.com. Again, this provides some income and allows us to devote time and resources to the growth and upkeep of The Career Counter.
What I do and don’t promote:
- The majority of the products or services we promote we have developed ourselves.
- Sometimes we promote products we have used personally but have not paid for. An example of this is free webinars or courses taken from other bloggers.
- Sometimes we promote products that we’re am not currently paying for, but which have paid for in the past.
- Very rarely we will promote a product that we have not paid for but that comes highly recommended by people we trust.
We may collect personal information form you such as your name or email address. For example, you may voluntarily submit information to The Career Counter by leaving a comment, subscribing to a newsletter, or submitting a contact form.
We also collect communication data that includes any communication that you send us through email, text, social media messaging, social media posting, or any other form of communication you send us.
Most of the information we collect from this website is anonymous, such as the pages you visit. Other anonymous data we may collect might include the name of your internet service provider, the website that you used to link to our site, interests that you have, basic demographic information, the website you visit from our site, and your IP address. The data is used for statistical purposes only, but you, as the individual user, remain anonymous.
We may receive information about you from other sources. You may link your Facebook, Instagram, and/or Google accounts to your user profile. If you choose to link your Facebook, Instagram, and/or Google accounts to your user profile, we will receive your name, email address, and profile picture associated with that account.
Use of Information
We may use the information collected in the following ways:
- To operate and maintain The Career Counter
- To communicate with you about promotional information (e.g. newsletters) and administrative communications (e.g. updates and policies). Each email will provide information about how to opt-out.
- To request your review of our purchased products and services
- To respond to your comments or inquiries
- To deliver relevant website content and advertisements (our products and services) to you
- To measure or understand the effectiveness of the advertising on the website
- To protect, investigate, and deter against unauthorized or illegal activity
Third Party Use of Personal Information
The Career Counter may use third-party service providers to service various aspects of the website. Each third-party service provider’s use of your personal information is dictated by their respective privacy policies.
The Career Counter currently uses the following third-party service providers:
Akismet: We collect information about visitors who comment on sites that use our Akismet anti-spam service. The information we collect depends on how the user sets up Akismet for the site, but typically includes the commenter’s IP address, user agent, referrer, and site URL.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you have an account and you log in to this site, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Additional Legal Disclosure
This site may accept forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics, or posts produced. That content, advertising space, or post may not always be identified as paid or sponsored content.
The owner of this site is compensated to provide opinions on products, services, websites, and other various topics. Even though the owner receives compensation, the opinions expressed on this blog are entirely our own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party in question.
This site does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.
The Career Counter Store
What we collect and store
While you visit our site, we’ll track:
- Products you’ve viewed: we’ll use this to, for example, show you products you’ve recently viewed
- Location, IP address and browser type: we’ll use this for purposes like estimating taxes
- Billing & Shipping address: We only ask for this in connection to affirm payments, so they can start the underwritting process of your loan
When you purchase from us, we’ll ask you to provide information including your name, billing address, email address, credit card/payment details and optional account information like username and password. We’ll use this information for purposes, such as, to:
- Send you information about your account and order
- Respond to your requests, including refunds and complaints
- Process payments and prevent fraud
- Set up your account for our store
- Comply with any legal obligations we have, such as calculating taxes
- Improve our store offerings
- Send you marketing messages, if you choose to receive them
If you create an account, we will store your name, address, and email, which will be used to populate the checkout for future orders.
We generally store information about you for as long as we need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it, and we are not legally required to continue to keep it. For example, we will store order information for three years for tax and accounting purposes. This includes your name, email address and billing addresses.
We will also store comments or reviews, if you choose to leave them.
Who on our team has access
Members of our team have access to the information you provide us. For example, both Administrators and Shop Managers can access:
- Order information like what was purchased, when it was purchased and where it should be sent, and
- Customer information like your name, email address, and billing information.
- Our team members have access to this information to help fulfill orders, process refunds and support you.
What we share with others
We share information with third parties who help us provide our store services to you; for example anonymous site usage data is sent to google analytics and order data is stored in cloud-based accounting software.
We will NEVER share your personal data, such as name, or billing information with any other party.
We accept payments through Stripe, PayPal and Affirm. When processing payments, some of your data will be passed to either Stripe or PayPal, including information required to process or support the payment, such as the purchase total and billing information.